Friday, August 10, 2012

Grumpy late night early morning chit chat

I work 7-11 at night.  After a super long day that started early after not getting a very good sleep, I can't help but grab a drink with caffeine on my way.  I get through my rooms quickly and then realize I have 15 or so extra minutes so I start flipping through a magazine in the break room.  I swear every magazine has some tragic story of something happening to little kids (murdered, kidnapped, abused) and I swear I CAN'T NOT READ THEM... and then I CAN'T STOP THINKING about them... and feeling sick about it.  Drive home, check on my kids three times to make sure that nobody stole them while we were dining in the backyard on vacation in Mexico or tossed their tiny little bodies in a field a mile away.  Then I lay in bed for an hour trying to think about anything else and know that the large coke zero is working overtime tonight.  Finally fall asleep to wake up at 2 for no reason and then at 4:45 with a sneaky little 5 year old scaring the living daylights out of me.  HE IS SO WHITE.  It is really like seeing a ghost.  Then up for the day at 6:15 with Quinn.  Deakon is up at 7:00.  On the dot.  He has a clock that changes color.  We have been doing a reward system getting him to stay in his bed all night.  10 days=a toy.  First $2, then $5, then $10.  Now we have progressed to the 10 days in a row.  Miss a night= starting over.  He missed last night, obviously.  He was upset that his other stars were crossed out.  First sign of how our morning has been going.  Then we argue over what we do and don't have for breakfast and why he can't get on the deck to see if his friends (the super annoying neighbors who stay up way later than 11 at night) are awake by yelling "william" over and over at 7:05 in the morning.  Strange that I forbid this today.  Quinn back in bed 7:30.  Nixon wakes up within minutes of Quinn going down.  EVERYDAY.  Why does this bother me so much?  Nixon walks into the kitchen and immediately starts getting into the popsicles and throws a huge tantrum because he can't have one for breakfast.  Deakon has been up for 40 minutes now so therefore he believes it is time for a snack.  Not just any snack- "a good one" meaning a treat.  Not happy when I tell him no.  Nixon hears this and starts yelling cookie over and over and then spills the box of mini wheats.  Those are probably the worst thing to have to clean up.  All those stupid little mini wheat fall offs.  I try not to yell.  Give Deakon the "get out of this room" look and he takes off downstairs to play PS or watch Netflix.  I am embarrassed to write that.  Embarrassed because my 5 year old knows how to work the TV almost better than I do and he can't even read.  Also embarrassed because until Quinn wakes up from her nap after 9 everyday... this is the only way I survive the mornings.  I am not a morning person.  Can you tell?  So how do I cope this morning?  Duh, more caffeine.  Which eventually makes things worse and me more tired, and THEN I get something on my way to work and then read a magazine at work and then stay up late and do it all over again. 

2 comments:

Catherine Dabels said...

Why don't you take a book with you instead and read something good?

Angi Gerrie said...

this is why i need to use my audiobook credits that ive already paid for. it would be better if i could listen to them for the whole 4 hours, but even 15 minutes is better than reading tragic stories