Friday, June 5, 2009

I pretty much almost died...

***WARNING: DON'T READ THIS POST IF YOU DON'T LIKE READING ABOUT ALL OF THE DETAILS OF THE HUMAN BODY***
So, I pretty much almost died today... Sounds a bit exaggerated... maybe...
I woke up this morning feeling fine. We had breakfast and I took Deakon downstairs to find some toys to keep him occupied while I finished up the last 20 minutes of SYTYCD. (sooooo excited for this season!) While watching I started feeling like I had to pee...bad... although I had gone right when I woke up. So, I run to the bathroom... nothing... no liquid at all. Geez. I immediately think, great, UTI. Guess I should buy some cranberry juice and maybe call the doctor. I wasn't in too much of a hurry- mostly because I didn't have access to a car until Kyle came home from lunch at 1. I settled back in to finish the show.
10 minutes later my kidney started hurting.
Wait... BACK UP 6 months... I have been battling this "flank" pain for the past 6 months. I have had x-rays, ct scans, ultrasounds, urine tests- you name it. AND EVERY TEST COMES BACK WITH NOTHING. In my head, I am sure it is a kidney stone, but nobody can find the darn thing.
So... 10 minutes later... I have to pee even more ferociously and my whole kidney is aching....
another 10 minutes... worse... I can't bend my body without pain shooting through my side.
another 10 minutes... I call the doctor and the soonest they can see me is 12:45. It is 10:00. I want to die... I am now hunched over, crying.
5 minutes later, I call Kyle and tell him to get his little butt home and take me to the doctor. I can't sit down, lay down, pee, change Deakon's clothes, talk. All I can do is cry.
20 minutes later Kyle FINALLY walks in the door. I am kneeled over crying and Deakon is super worried about why "mama sad and cying"
The 10 minute car ride was THE LONGEST 10 MINUTES OF MY LIFE. I feel like I can't breath... I am trying not to puke my brains out because of the pain...
I run into the doctor's office... they look at me and say "The soonest we can see you is in over an hour" I look at her with my tear-stained face and blood-shot eyes and TRY to kindly tell her, "I CAN'T WAIT!" Her eyes shoot open and she asks where the pain is, "MY KIDNEY" She tells me that they will get me seen right away and asks if I could give a urine sample. "MAYBE" I hurry into the bathroom and nothing much happened. I try and try, but nothing is coming out. I finally decide to go back out to tell them, but then I talk myself into trying just one more time. Liquid comes gushing out... with 2 ITTY BITTY STONES! My pain immediately disappeared. I couldn't believe it... these little tiny things almost killed me. I felt like it was a miracle that I was still alive.
Here are some pics of those little killers. Mine were more like the ones on the bottom right.

I feel so bad for anyone who has had to deal with these things. So I hear, I will probably be given the chance to give birth to one of these little babies again in my life. KILL ME NOW... That is about all for my dramatic post of the month...


10 comments:

Linds Forrest said...

Angi that is CRAZY!! I am SO sorry. I had to watch James in that pain and I would never wish that on anyone. I'm glad you didn't have to suffer to long! Hope you're 100% soon.

The Rogers said...

Angie, I am so sorry!!! I had 2 while pregnant with Mordecai. The first one they couldn't find for a month and finally found it after it blocked my urine going into my kidney and after they gave me a nyphrostomy tube( catheter in my back to my kidney to drain the urine) and a picc line for all of my infections (permanent iv). Then a week later the second one, the first was a 6 mm and the second a 7 mm. Both had to be removed through surgery. THEN last November I had 3. An 8 mm that was removed through surgerey and then two 4 mm ones that I had lithotripsy done and a stent removal. So not fun. Hopefully they can find out why you had yours. My urologist told me to drink one 8oz glass of orange juice or lemonade a day. Supposedly the acid in the drinks acts as a 'silicon' barrier to prevent little stones from getting bigger. good luck

Meredith said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you have finally found some relief and you have hard facts to back you up the next time some doctor tells you nothing is wrong. Who knows, maybe the kidney stones were a side effect of celiac disease and now that you're gluten free you won't have any more. That's what I'm hoping for! Love you!

The Turnbows said...

All I can say is, Ouch. So glad we haven't had to deal with those yet.

kwgirl said...

Yup, my dad missed my wedding because he was in the hospital with kidney stones! Sorry for the pain, at least giving birth gives you a baby! Did you get to keep the stones?

H.Peter said...

Awfull.
They passed fairly quickly.

Glad to hear it's all over.

Giles Fam said...

OUCH! Sorry you had to go through that. Hopefully the doctors will be wrong, and you won't have to experience it again! Did you keep the stones? :)

Tiff Keetch said...

Holy Moses! I'm so sorry! (and way to go by passing them without any pain meds...)

Hopefully you WONT have to do that again!

Aubrey Doyle said...

Oh my! I'm sorry you had to go through that! John woke up in the middle of the night once and was in so much pain he thought he was dying (or at least, I assumed he was). After hours in the ER he learned it was kidney stones and finally passed them! He was in so much pain that I can only imagine what you were going through. I hope you are feeling better now and can find a way to prevent them from happening again. I think my bil drinks cranberry juice to prevent his!?!

Tracy :) said...

Ouch! I'm sorry babe! Can't believe that! You better call your chaloops when you're in Utah! ;-)